Sunday, August 28, 2005

IBEW Local 48 (Portland OR) Member Speaks Out About Conditions on "Jobs" in Iraq for KBR

Firsthand report

[published on Thu, Aug 25, 2005]

To the Editor:

The following was submitted to the July-August International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Journal by Daniel A. Poczynek of Local 48 of Portland, Ore.:

"KBR's desert wasteland:

"I just came home from 15 months building a new POW prison in southern Iraq for KBR [Halliburton], and I have never been treated this bad in my life. I worked 15 to 18 hours a day, seven days a week, some 4,800 hours in one year.

"We couldn't order our own electrical material, so when it came in wrong, instead of sending it back, they would just dig a hole in the sand and throw it in. I have seen hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted at taxpayers' expense.

"When I got to Iraq, I stood with my hands in my pockets for well over a month. I ended up calling my wife to send my tool bag.

"I am glad they sent me home. I was tired of saying, 'I am sorry for KBR's games being played with the military and the taxpayers.' "

I believe that this letter has a lot to say about the conditions and deception in Iraq.

This is a firsthand account from a man who witnessed what most of us would not believe.

William Wiederkehr

Huntley

No comments: