Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Florida Power & Light Workers Post Informational Picket

Fort Myers
FPL workers picket their plant

Posted: June 6, 2009 05:01 PM

Updated: June 8, 2009 10:33 AM

From http://www.fox4now.com Florida

Cars honk in support as dozens of Florida Power and Light employees fight for their jobs and benefits. Their messages are clearly displayed on handmade signs, "Negotiate, don't dictate," "CEOs millions, workers zero," "Save our medical."

These picketers, all electrical union (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, or IBEW) members, tell me they won't accept the power company's current contract offers.

Union President Rocky Bennett can't legally show me the offers, but tells me he won't approve them, because they have lower wages, less medical coverage, and fewer day shifts than the last contracts.

"When you have a hurricane, it's our guys who are out there in the weather trying to get your lights back on," he told me. "It's a dangerous job and it's hard work and we feel like we deserve to have a good contract and be treated fairly."

Brian Packard has worked at FPL for 30 years, but says he'll consider leaving if forced to give up his current wages and shift.

"I have three girls. I brought them up through Little League and band," he explained. "And I was there for all of that because I was a day shift worker."

But FPL spokesperson Mayco Villafana says negotiations are still ongoing.

"We believe that IBW employees are worth it and, as with any negotiations that are multi-faceted, they take time to complete to everyone's satisfactions," he told me on the phone.

Villafana wouldn't give me any contract details, but did say FPL is facing a tough economic climate and already pays workers higher than average wages.

Pooja Lodhia
Reporter


No comments: